Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Daycare/Healthcare Struggle Begins

So after taking a good hard look at our books, unfortunately I think I'll need to be going back to work full time soon after these kiddos are born. I know - millions of women do it everyday, but it still stinks.

My hubby is from the UK where women get a one year paid time off thanks to the government. Of course, also no one there needs to worry about health care coverage either since that's another government run program. Makes me want to hop the next flight on over.

Right now I'm trying to find out about insurance and daycare after the babies are born. I work for a small employer who only covers the employee, not any dependents, for health insurance. Also, we only get 6 weeks of unpaid maternity time. What a stinker!

So far it all breaks down to this:

Health Insurance - if I get it through work, it's going to cost almost $600 per month to cover just the babies. I looked into independent health insurance, which could be less, but unless these kids are born perfectly healthy - they could deny them coverage. How nuts is that! Of course, with my past IF history, they can deny me coverage as well! Double nutiness!

Daycare - Ha! I just got off the phone with the closest daycare to my work and they want $359 per week, per child. So that's over $700 per week for full time daycare. That's definitely out of the question. I'll have to start looking on Craigslist for stay-at-home mom's or home daycares.

So much to think about and get settled before these kids even arrive. I can't wait until its all done and I can relax already.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That is a lot to mull over! Have you thought to look at angie's list? They have people on there that have been rated and have references. Also, perhaps you could check at your local college- sometimes they have posting for nannies, sitters, etc. in the child development department.
    Good luck sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's NUTS, isn't it? I had a friend who had twins and it would have been a wash if she went back to work, so she ended up staying home (she loves her kiddos, but I think she wanted to go back to work). Good luck with the search.

    ReplyDelete